FESTIVALS & PRODUCTION EXPERIENCE
- Altercation Comedy Festival, Austin 2019 (Performer)
- Whiskey Bear Comedy Festival, Columbus 2019 (Performer)
- Cola Comedy Con, Columbia 2018 (Performer)
- Second Bell Festival, Knoxville 2018 (Performer)
- Whiskey Bear Comedy Festival, Columbus 2018 (Performer)
- Whiskey Bear Comedy Festival, Columbus 2016 (Performer)
- Rock Bottom Festival, Columbus 2015 (Performer)
- Orlando Indie Comedy Festival, 2014 (Performer)
- Scruffy City Comedy Festival, Knoxville 2014-2016 (Performer, Co-Producer)
- BlankFest 2014, 2015, 2016 (Performer)
- RagnaRock! 2011, DC Arts Center (Performer, Co-Producer)
- NC Comedy and Arts Festival, 2010 (Performer)
Saw Works First Friday Comedy Showcase (June 2015 – September 2017)
Tyler Sonnichsen is a stand-up comic and geographer based in Central Michigan. You don’t have to know who Night Ranger is to find him funny, but it can’t hurt. He released his second album Modern Life is Awesome (available at tylersonic.bandcamp.com) in Fall 2018.
Tyler began comedy at an early age, then began something resembling actual comedy at a slightly older age as a member of the Western-MA based TDC crew. He joined the Penguins Without Pants sketch comedy troupe in Syracuse, NY in 2001, writing, acting, and producing shows of various sizes through 2005, when he moved to Washington, DC and stumbled upon an open mic somewhere on the Orange Line. He lived and loved DC comedy for years, founding the smash hit Laughing Lizard Comedy Showcase (2006 – 2008), and then founded the Hot Broth Comedy Open Mic Thursdays at the Comedy Spot (2009 – 2016), leaving behind some sort of legacy.
Since then, he has performed stand-up in places as far and wide as Paris, Boston, London, Orlando, New Orleans, Chicago, Los Angeles, Oakland, Columbus, New Haven, and more. He has opened for Jake Johanssen, Tig Notaro, Kyle Kinane, Derek Sheen, and more. He has performed in the Orlando Indie Comedy Festival, Knoxville’s Scruffy City Comedy Festival, Columbus’ Whiskey Bear Comedy Festival, among others.
He spent six years in Knoxville, TN, where he spent two years as co-producer of RainShine Comedy and currently co-produces Friendlytown, a weekly world-building experimental comedy show. He recently released his second album Modern Life is Awesome on vinyl, cassette, and digital through his label RainShine Records. He currently resides in Central Michigan.
Also, his name is pronounced like Sonic-Sun. He’s highly enjoyable to watch, really. You don’t have to know who Night Ranger is to find him funny, but it doesn’t hurt. Just remember that Tyler is much funnier than this bio is well-written.
WBIR Live at Five Segment to promote ‘Modern Life is Awesome’ Recording